by Darpan Sachdeva
1. Family is everything – They are the ones who will be there no matter what. I’ve had both friendships and relationships come and go in my life and the one constant has always been my family. Regardless of the situation or circumstance, my family has stood by me through the good times and the bad. They are the ones who will always be there – treat them like they are the greatest people on earth because they really are.
2.Time is an illusion. When I was younger, it always felt like I had my whole life ahead of me. So, I kept on procrastinating; putting off reading that book I’ve always wanted to read, not dropping a message to a friend I haven’t seen or talked to for a long time, not exercising daily, not saving and investing, not going out. Now, I look back and I realized I’ve wasted so much time planning and not acting.
3Take more risks. When you’re young, you have more opportunities to fail. More opportunities to fail means more opportunities to learn. More opportunities to learn is more opportunities to succeed. Plus, you become wiser and stronger in the process.
4.Don’t work hard, work smart. Don’t stress the small stuff at work. More importantly, don’t let your work schedule your life. Take control over your life and schedule it.
5.Manners are essential. One of the things that irks me more than anything else is poor manners. A simple ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ will get you so much further in life. This extends to taking the time to thank people for things they have done for you or for helping you. A simple Thank You card in the mail will absolutely make someone’s day.
6. You can’t change a person or save the whole world in one go. You can’t change anyone. That’s God’s job. Your job is to accept and love them for who they are. The change will follow. If they’re sucking out your energy, learn to love them from a distance.
You’ll go crazy trying to save the world. It’s frustrating! What you can do is try to save one person at a time. How? Be a friend. Listen. Empathize. Share your time. Let them feel they matter. Never underestimate the power of kindness.
7.Learn about Finances. Even if it might be boring, or not applicable immediately to you, learn about finances. To make money, you need to understand money, unless you luck out (which very few people do).Money does actually matter, sadly. Try and have some kind of cushion: it’ll come in handy if things go wrong, but it’ll also come in handy for experiments.
8. Find happiness within yourself, not from other people, and certainly not from things. Unhappiness leads to terrible choices.At the end of the day, be happy. I mean this literally – do not go to bed cranky. You will not wake up feeling better in the morning. Do whatever you need to do to get those negative thoughts out of your mind and focus on something happy to end your day.Be Happy in whatever you do. If you’re not, why push yourself through it (be it life, work, personal relationships, hobbies, etc.)
9.Learn to love yourself.
You can’t possibly live a fulfilled life until you learn to love yourself completely. When you look in the mirror, tell yourself you’re handsome, or beautiful. Say it often. You’re unique and no one looks quite like you. Embrace it. Love it. Other people will only love you more for it.
10. It’s you versus you. That’s it.
Stop comparing yourself to others. You might never be the strongest person in the gym, the richest guy on a Forbes list or the fastest guy in the marathon. If that upsets you, you’re missing the point. Instead, concentrate on being better today than you were yesterday. If you keep doing that, you’ll be successful. It may not happen right away, but if you stay focused on improving just a little every day, you’ll amaze yourself.
11. Stop worrying so much about what other people think.
Letting the opinions of your peers influence your decisions is one of the worst things you can do. You’ll realize later just how foolish it was. The only thing that is important is what you think and feel about yourself.
12. Make good friends, the ones who will stick during bad times. And remember not to rely on people for happiness.
13. Health. Take care of your body now and you will have to spend less on fixing it later. Eat healthful food, workout, and stay away from the typical vices – your body will thank you later in life.
14.You’ll get your heart broken. Maybe once, maybe twice. It’s all part of the package. Only a very few are lucky enough to end up with their first love. Most mortals will have to meet a few wrong people before they meet the right one for them.
15. Be honest with yourself and others.Always be true to yourself and others. Period. Honesty gives you peace of mind, and peace of mind is priceless. Relationships built on the foundation of lies won’t last.
And finally as an add on bonus advise over the 15 things above to myself would be,
the one and only one:
Learn how to code
Darpan Sachdeva is the CEO and Founder of Nobelthoughts.com. With a long time passion for Entrepreneurship, Self development & Success, Darpan started his website with the intention of educating and inspiring like minded people all over the world to always strive for success no matter what their circumstances.To keep going and never get disheartened and learn from every adversity.